Friday, November 22, 2013

'Gypsy' Songs

Many Gaga fans love 'Gypsy' from Artpop:

It does nothing for me: more 'loud', space-filing, but strangely unexpressive vocals, more wretched lyrics, more ghastly rock bombast, more pieced-together song structure, and so on. (The only songs I like from Artpop are Artpop, Sexxx Dreams, Fashion!, Manicure, Mary Jane Holland, and Do What U Want, i.e., 6 out of 15 tracks)

Anyhow, Gaga's 'Gypsy' got me thinking about other, better tracks with 'Gypsy' in their title. Roughly in order of preference then

1. Cher's 'Gypsies, Tramps, and Thieves'

2. Suzanne Vega's 'Gypsy'

3. Fleetwood Mac's 'Gypsy'

4. Santana's 'Black Magic woman/Gypsy Queen'

5. Uriah Heep's 'Gypsy'

6. Tony Orlando & Dawn's 'My Sweet Gypsy Rose'

7. Milton Henry's 'Gypsy Woman'

8. Black Sabbath's 'Gypsy'

And that's about it: Shakira's 'Gypsy' is almost certainly worse than Gaga's. Have I missed anyone (especially anyone good)?

No comments: